Reduce emissions by 80 to 95%, or limit to 2 metric tons CO2e per capita, by 2050
The Climate Group
The Under 2 MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) is a long-term commitment by ambitious sub-national governments to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions 80 to 95%, or limit to 2 metric tons CO2-equivalent per capita, by 2050.
The Under 2 Coalition aims to support state, regional, and city government signatories to drive action and share expertise in three areas: developing deep decarbonization pathways; measuring and reporting progress and scaling policy solutions. This work aims to demonstrate the art of the possible thus helping national governments in their efforts to achieve their NDCs.
Each signatory’s individual objectives in order to reach the Coalition’s common target are described in their Appendix to the Under 2 MOU (Memorandum of Understanding): http://under2mou.org/founding-signatories/.
Roadmap and work plan
The roadmap is currently being established. The coalition proposes to focus on three streams of work:
• PATHWAYS - supporting Under 2 MOU signatories to develop short and long-term goals and pathways towards deep decarbonisation;
• POLICY – putting in place the policies that work through knowledge sharing, technical support and cooperation;
• PROGRESS - ensuring governments have the expertise and systems in place to measure their emissions accurately and track progress.
The Climate Group was selected as the Under 2 Coalition’s official secretariat at COP21 and secured funding to establish the first phase of the Under 2 Coalition. This enabled the establishment of the secretariat, recruitment of further signatories and creation of workstreams required in order to support signatories to achieve their deep decarbonization objectives. Specific progress made in 2016 includes:
- A total of 136 jurisdictions have signed or endorsed the Under 2 MOU since May 2015. The Coalition now represents 30% of the global economy, $22 trillion in GDP and 832 million people. More signatories are expected to join before the end of 2016.
- The first sub-national Clean Energy Ministerial was held in San Francisco in June 2016 alongside CEM7. This brought together signatories to the Under 2 MOU to share learnings on subnational clean energy policy and participate in a dedicated workshop on long-term pathways planning.
- 37 state and regional government signatories to the Under2 MOU have started reporting to the Compact of States and Regions.
- A dedicated workshop was held for Under 2 signatories alongside Climate Week NYC on policy learning for energy efficiency.
- Research on MRV support and guidelines for state and regional governments has commenced including analysis of reporting protocols and methodologies.
We do not have data available regarding adaptation progress to date. Data should be available in 2017.
We do not have data available regarding progress to date. Data should be available in 2017.
Libby Ferguson, States & Regions Director, The Climate Group, 2nd Floor, Riverside Building, County Hall, Belvedere Rd, London, SE1 7PB, United Kingdom, and Manuela Galan
+44 (0)20 7960 2970, and +44 (0)20 7960 2970